Thursday, December 2, 2010

Consistent Inconsistencies

I may not have all the answers to life. As a matter of fact, I could tell you one thing today and then another tomorrow. My thoughts shift left and right, up and down, backwards and forward. I am yes one minute and no in a matter of seconds. My perspectives change. I am no longer the girl you met yesterday and tomorrow I will no longer be the girl I am today. Change is gradual and we never see it coming. It is only noticeable when we stop and really look at ourselves and the world we have created around us. Each day is a challenge for me. I always want to be better, stronger, and wiser. But there will always be someone better than I am. A better friend. A better sister. A better daughter. A better girlfriend. A better person. Someone more intelligent than I could ever imagine. Someone more daring and confident. Someone more beautiful. Someone more perfect. And myself? I am physically weak and emotionally fragile. I can shatter into a million pieces and cry myself to sleep. I fear the silence, the emptiness, for my mind wanders. But I am able to successfully hide it all behind this curve upon my lips. I am able to spend each silence, each quiet moment of my own, building and rebuilding the heart. I listen for the rhythm. The quiet drumming. The music and the essence. This heart of mine is as delicate, as intricate and as pure as a snowflake on the first snow day of a new year. But the world is not delicate nor is it pure. So who am I to believe that I can take on the world with the heart as my shield and the mind as my only weapon.

We all have doubts in ourselves. We doubt our greatest potential. We doubt our patience. And we doubt our ability to continuously persevere. But it is never the silver lining that we all look for. What we look for is the unconditional love, faith and trust of someone else in us. Not our mothers. Not our fathers, brothers or sisters. Not someone who shares our blood, but rather a stranger. One who will eventually become an acquaintance and on to an honorable friend. Someone who will grow and change because we have made an impact on their lives just as much as they did on our lives simply because they accepted us for who we are and were able to believe in our choices and actions. I want to see the world and every person in it creating this beautiful ripple effect. One that touches and changes a person. One that spreads love and romance. One of trust and honesty. And most of all, one of inspiration. So with this in mind, go and challenge the world. Defy gravity. Be better, stronger and wiser. Affect others and let others affect you. Take on life with the heart as your shield and the mind as your only weapon. These are things no one could ever take away from you.

No comments: